About the Reunion
Between 11-13 August, the five Association Board members will meet in Florida to address remaining reunion issues and activities. Immediately thereafter, this schedule will be refined and finalized. For the moment:
Why San Antonio, and the Omni la Mansion.
At the 613th TFS (Squids) Association inaugural meeting in Clearwater in June 2016, membership supported a reunion every three years while asking that the next reunion be held further west to facilitate participation. During a Board of Directors (BoD) meeting in Tampa last winter, the directors voted to amend Association By-Laws to read “every two to three years,” appreciating increased health issues among many. On 19 July 2016, the BoD met in session at MacDill AFB. It was decided:
3. Sid “Fuzzy” Thurston is appointed to fill the previously vacant Reunion Coordinator position on the BoD. His responsibilities—as with the other four directors—terminate following the election of new officers at the San Antonio membership meeting.
The Omni la mansion Hotel sits on one of the more photogenic segments of the Riverwalk in the very heart of downtown San Antonio. It was chosen after a thorough vetting of potential venues. Four visits by three individuals or couples were necessary before the Omni was selected over an initial list of twelve hotels/resorts visited. In the end, the Omni offered the most ambiance, competitive concessions, and a clear desire to host and work with us to ensure our best possible San Antonio reunion experience. It has a very special “parador” look and feel. It’s less than two blocks from the Alamo, and surrounded by fantastic shopping and authentic Mexican cantinas.
About the Hotel.
Sixteen years after the fall of the Alamo, in 1852, four brothers of the society of Mary arrived in San Antonio to establish a school. Construction of this building began immediately and opened its doors on March 1, 1853, to more than a hundred students. In fall of 1854, two additional brothers joined the faculty and by 1870, it was a well-proportioned structure of limestone, typically European in style. The College Street campus grew and prospered as St Mary’s academy until 1924 and after that as St Mary’s College. From 1934-1966 the building housed St Mary’s University School of Law. Two former students purchased the property in 1966 and work began on a new hotel. In April 1968, La Mansion del Rio opened its doors as a luxury hotel, just in time for Hemisfair, San Antonio’s 1968 World Fair. Omni Hotels acquired La Mansion in 2006.